Has British Pie week comes to an end, I couldn’t let it get away without baking my fave classic 🍎apple🍏 pie with a visual twist ☺
for the pastry:
8oz (225g) self raising flour you can use plain but self raising gives it more of a cake like texture which I prefer.
Pinch of salt
4oz (100g) margarine you could use half lard half marg if you wish.
1 oz (25g) Caster sugar
Cold water to mix about 30 ml (2tbsp)
4 braeburn apples, peeled cored and cut into bit size chunks.
1 tsp of lemon curd
A splash of water
4 tbsp Caster sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 egg white
1 tsp milk
Sprinkle of Caster sugar
1. Mix flour and salt in a bowl, rub in fat,stir in sugar.
2. Use a knife to cut and stir, mix in cold water to form the stiff dough.
3. Turn out dough on to a floured surface and lightly knead.
4. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge until required while you make the filling.
5. Gently warm all of the pie filling ingredients together in a pan until soft, tender and juicy.
6. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Warm or serve cold if preferred with custard, cream, ice-cream or my healthier alternative option these days, low fat natural yoghurt.
What’s your favourite kind of pie? Kindly let me know in the comments below it would be interesting to know what my readers like and you might inspire me try out a new pie recipe 😜