It will soon be Summer so I thought I’d share a favourite bake of mine that reminds me of the sunshine and always brings a smile to my friends & family’s face whenever I make them.
They are one of the first things I learnt to make when I started to bake and have been a firm favourite ever since. Not only are they easy to prepare they’re easy on the eyes too.
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius & put bun cases in tray.
2. Cream sugar & butter together until light & fluffy.
3. Mix in a bit of flour with each egg & extract then fold in remaining flour.
4. Fill bun cases 3/4 full and bake in middle of oven for 15-20 minutes.
5. Completely cool cakes before cutting a circle out of the top of each one & cutting in half to create the butterfly wings.
6. Combine butter and icing sugar then chill for 5 mins to firm up. Once chilled add a tsp of buttercream to each cake hole then place the cake wings at either side for the pretty butterfly effect.
You could also jazz these cute cakes up with a few sprinkles for extra decoration or try a chocolate version by replacing 1 oz of the flour with cocoa powder. The choices are endless, please share your bakes of this classic cake recipe in the comments below it would be good to see individual interpretations of one of my favourites for inspiration 🙂